- PhD Software Engineering, 2011, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
Dissertation: Variability Modeling and Meta-Modeling for Model Driven Service Oriented Architectures
- PhD Software Engineering, 2011, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
Project Thesis: Service oriented Software Product Lines
- Software Architecture Graduate Certificate, 2011, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia
- MS Computer Information Technology, 2004, Regis University, Denver, Colorado
Project Thesis: XML to PDF Conversion Web Service
- BS Electrical Engineering, 1993, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio
Professional Credentials & Memberships
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Sun Certified System Administrator for Solaris 7
- Sun Certified Network Administrator for Solaris 7
- Several SUN certificates in software and hardware
- Several NCR certificates in software and hardware
Academic & Professional Experience
- Associate Professor of Software Engineering, Regis University, Denver, CO, 2018-present
- Freelance Trainer, NobleProg Training & Consulting, USA & Europe, 2015-present
- Senior Researcher, Etisalat British Telecom Innovation Center (EBTIC) at Khalifa University of Science & Technology, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2012-2017
- Affiliate Faculty of Software Engineering, Regis University, Denver, Co, 2009-2012
- Independent IT Architecture Consultant, USA, 2008-2012
- Enterprise Portfolio Architect, Lowe’s Home Improvement, Mooresville, NC
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) Researcher Consultant, George Mason University, Virginia
- Consulting Manager – Systems Integration, Optimiza, Amman, Jordan
- Sr. IT Architect Consultant, IBM Global Business Services, Washington, DC
- SOA Education Consultant, Momentum Software Inc., Austin, TX
- Senior Software Engineer, LexisNexis, Dayton, OH, 2000-2008
- Systems Support Engineer, Digital Controls Corporation, Springboro, Ohio, 1996-2000
- Systems Engineer, BancTec Financial Systems, Dayton, Ohio, 1994-1996
Research & Scholarship
My research philosophy is simple – I strive to find simple solutions to complex problems. Building software systems is a hard task. Software systems today are highly distributed, mobile, always-on, mission critical, and cloud-based. Most systems comprise of heterogeneous subsystems, and built by disparate teams with different skill sets and cultures.
To tame the complexities of such software systems, I employ high abstraction techniques that allow me to focus on certain aspects of the studied systems while ignoring other less important aspects. In other words, my main research area is software architecture.
Software Defined Reference Architecture for Smart City Ecosystems
Variability Modeling and Meta-Modeling for Model Driven Service Oriented Architectures
Managing the Run-Time Variability of Multi-Tenant Applications in the Cloud
Architecture-based Dynamic Evolution Runtime Environment (ADERE)
A framework for context-aware self-adaptive mobile applications SPL
Modeling and managing variability in cyber-physical systems
- Fatma Omar, Mohammad Abu Matar, RabebMizouni, Mahmoud Al-Qutayri, and Jon Whittle “An Integrated Platform for Dynamic Adaptation of Multi-Tenant Single Instance SaaS Applications,” in The IEEE 5th International Conference on Future Internet of Things and Cloud, Prague, Czech Republic, August 2017.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, & John Davies “Data Driven Reference Architecture for Smart City Ecosystems,” in The 2017 IEEE International Conference on Smart City Innovations (IEEE SCI 2017), San Francisco, USA, August 2017.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, “Towards a Software Defined Reference Architecture for Smart City Ecosystems,” in The IEEE Second International Smart Cities Conference (ISC2 2016), Trento, Italy, September 2016.
- F. Mohamed, M. Abu-Matar, R. Mizouni and M. Al-Qutayri “Design-time Evolution Rules to Support SaaS Dynamic Evolution,” in Graduate Students Research Conference (GSRC), Abu Dhabi,UAE, March 2015.
- Fatma Mohamed , Mohammad Abu Matar, Rabeb Mizouni, Mahmoud Al-Qutayri, and Zaid Almahmoud, SaaS Dynamic Evolution Based on Model-Driven Software Product Lines, Proceedings of the 6th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing Technology & Science, Singapore, December 15, 2014.
- Mohammad Abu Matar and Jon Whittle, MDE Opportunities in Multi-Tenant Cloud Applications, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Model-Driven Engineering on and for the Cloud co-located with the 17th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems, CloudMDE@MoDELS 2014, Valencia, Spain, September 30, 2014.
- Rabeb Mizouni, Mohammad Abu Matar, et al, A framework for context-aware self-adaptive mobile applications SPL, Expert Systems with Applications, Volume 41, Issue 16, 15 November 2014, Pages 7549–7564, Elsevier Science.
- Salwa Al Zahmi, Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Rabeb Mizouni, A Practical Tool for Automating Service Oriented Software Product Lines Derivation, SOSE 2014: 8th International Symposium on Service Oriented System Engineering, 7-10 April 2014 Oxford, UK
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, R. Mizouni and S. AlZahmi, Towards Software Product Lines Based Cloud Architectures, The IEEE International Conference on Cloud Engineering (IC2E), Boston, USA, March 2014.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, Towards a Variability Modeling Approach for Service-Oriented Cloud Architectures, British Computer Society (BCS) International IT Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, March 2013.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Hassan Gomaa, An Automated Framework for Variability Management of Service-Oriented Software Product Lines, SOSE 2013: 7th International Symposium on Service Oriented System Engineering, 25-28 March 2013 San Francisco Bay, USA, 2013.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Hassan Gomaa, Feature-based Variability Meta-Modeling for Service-Oriented Product Lines, in Models in Software Engineering, ser. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, vol. 7167, 2012, pp. 68–82.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Hassan Gomaa, Service Variability Meta-Modeling for Service-Oriented Architectures, ACM/IEEE 14th International Conference on Model Driven Engineering Languages and Systems MODELS 2011, Wellington, New Zealand, 16-21 October 2011.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Hassan Gomaa, Variability Modeling for Service Oriented Product Line Architectures, The 15th International Software Product Lines Conference in Munich, Germany, August 22-26, 2011.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Hassan Gomaa, Feature Based Variability for Service Oriented Architectures, The 9th Working IEEE/IFIP Conference on Software Architecture, 20-24 June 2011 Boulder, Colorado, USA 2011.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, Hassan Gomaa, Minseong Kim, Feature Modeling for Service Variability Management in Service-Oriented Architectures, The 22st International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Redwood City, California, USA July 3, 2010.
- Mohammad Abu Matar, Mediation Based Variability Modeling for Service Oriented Software Product Lines, The 21st International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Boston, USA July 1, 2009.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, Toward a Service-Oriented Analysis and Design Methodology for Software Product Lines, IBM Developer Works July 31, 2007.
- Mohammad Abu-Matar, and Jeff Offutt, Service Oriented Architecture Empirical Study, The 19th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Boston, USA July 9, 2007.
Awards & Recognition
- George Mason University Information Technology & Engineering Doctoral Fellowship for six semesters.
- Outstanding Graduate Teaching Award by the Department of Computer Science of George Mason University 2009/2010 Academic Year.
- Regis University Master of Science Graduate High Honors.
- George Mason University PhD Graduate High Honors
Community Involvement & Service
Program committee member for several IEEE conferences
Reviewer for several IEEE conferences
Mentor to students entrepreneurs at the Regis College of Business and Economics Innovation Challenge
Mentor at the SafeCity Global Web Site - Regis MSSE Graduate Student Project