Become a Leader in Elementary Education
This graduate program is designed for learners who already hold a bachelor's degree and are seeking a master's degree and initial teacher licensure in Elementary Education (K-6).
Education: Elementary Education (Initial Teacher Licensure)
Available both online and on-campus, the M.Ed. in Elementary Education with initial teacher licensure program is designed for those who are passionate about working with young children, grades K-6, who would like to become licensed in the state of Colorado. Our Teacher Education program is nationally approved through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
Our teacher education program is based on the philosophy that learning to be a teacher is best accomplished when an understanding of theory and practice is balanced by the knowledge gained through diverse experience in schools. Foundational courses will introduce you to theories in education. Content (subject area) courses will ensure that you have the depth of knowledge needed to teach in your endorsement area. Your professional sequence courses will emphasize field placement and experiential learning and your student teaching semester will be your final culmination in applying what you have learned.
Regis University's teacher licensure program develops educational leaders who improve and transform society. The curriculum emphasizes four distinctive areas:
- Jesuit ideals including serving others, striving for excellence and reflective practice
- Service learning integrated into every program, integrating theory with practical application
- Curriculum focused on developing teachers who are data literate and able think critically
- Instructional technology embedded into every course to help teachers inspire a deeper level of learning among students
A graduate license/endorsement is dependent on the major of your bachelor's degree. If the level and area of license/endorsement you are seeking does not correspond to your specific major, you may need to take additional undergraduate credits as required by Colorado laws and regulations for license/endorsement.
Paraprofessionals are offered a 10% preferred tuition discount for education courses at Regis. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.
Total Degree and Licensure Requirements: 44-47 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.
||Educational Foundations (3 credit hours)
||Educational Research and Critical Reflection I (3 credit hours)
||Equity, Ethics and Social Justice in Education (3 credit hours)
||Educational Psychology (3 credit hours)
||Effective Learning Environments(3 credit hours)
||Universal Design for Learning: A Framework for Teaching and Learning (3 credit hours)
||Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners (3 credit hours)
||Assessment of Learning (3 credit hours)
||Teaching Reading and Writing (3 credit hours)
||Methods: The Nature and Practices of Literacy, Social Studies and Expressive Arts (3 credit hours)
||Methods: The Nature and Practices of Science, Health and Physical Education (3 credit hours)
||Methods: The Nature and Practices of Mathematics (3 credit hours)
||Student Teaching (5-8 credit hours)
||Professionalism in Education I (2 credit hours)
|TOTAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: 44-47 credit hours
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above and you should contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for recent changes and updates.
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
How to Apply
Take the next step in your Regis experience and connect with a Regis admissions counselor for information and assistance.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
Applicants seeking a master's degree from Regis University must possess a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Complete the online graduate application
- Application fee: $50.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official transcript from each previously attended U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Official transcript must be sent directly from your previously attended schools to the Office of Admissions. Download the transcript request form.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 from previously attended colleges and universities
- Fingerprint Submission/Background Check: Applicants must submit a completed official fingerprint card ($33.50) as part of the enrollment process. Accepted students will be mailed instructions, along with a fingerprint card, to be taken to their local law enforcement agency to be fingerprinted. Fingerprint results must be received by Regis University within 30 days of starting your first class with us. See a list of disqualifying offenses when considering teacher licensure. It is important that you are aware of the Colorado Department of Education’s guidelines for teacher licensure prior to pursuing a teacher licensure program. Click here for more information. Regis University reserves the right to dismiss any candidate from the Teacher Education Program whose offense precludes them from obtaining licensure or contact with youth.
- Critical analysis essay (instructions to upload your completed essay are included in the online application system)
- Current resume
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed
- Initial Licensure seeking students must purchase a Task Stream account directly through Taskstream. Contact information for Taskstream will be sent to you after add/ drop date of your first course. Task Stream is a webfolio to document all of your evaluations, projects, papers and field hours. Once you have completed your program you can provide a link to principals when you apply for teaching positions.
Applications and supporting application materials should be submitted 30 days prior to your intended start date to provide ample processing time. Access the appropriate academic calendar
to view start dates.
2016-2017 Academic Year Tuition: Effective Fall 2016
||Estimated Total Program Cost
||Credit Hours Required
||Cost per Credit Hour
||Estimated Fees for Program
||$21,340 - $22,795
||44 - 47
||$21,340 - $22,795
|44 - 47
Additional fees may apply. Please contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for information. Click here for information regarding student parking fees.