Ideal for those who already possess a teaching license and are seeking additional credentials, our M.Ed. with an added endorsement in Reading provides learners with a graduate degree that enhances the teaching of literacy, including reading, writing, speaking, viewing and language development for all populations. The curriculum covers a variety of teaching strategies and assessments that emphasize current, research-based best practices reflecting state literacy standards.
The Reading Specialist Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado only. The program requires a practicum that can be completed in the teacher's own classroom. It is a great option for interventionists or those interested in a literacy instruction role, elementary teachers and special education teachers.
Designed by practicing professionals, the M.Ed. with an added endorsement in Reading is an online program. Although a few classes may be offered on campus as they are taken by other endorsement areas, this program is designed to be a fast paced online program for current educators.
Current teachers not wishing to complete an entire Master of Education degree can take up to 9 credit hours as a non-degree seeking student. Plus, our Teacher Education program is nationally approved through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
Licensed educators and paraprofessionals are eligible to receive a 10% preferred tuition discount for teacher education courses at CPS. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.
The M.Ed. in Reading has three distinct program options, two of which result in a Colorado Licensure Endorsement in Reading:
- Track 1 - Reading M.Ed., Non-Endorsement: Any licensed teacher is eligible for this track. Since this program is online, teachers can reside in any state. This program option does not require a practicum; instead, students complete a final capstone project.
- Track 2 - Reading Teacher Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado and Wyoming only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and the Reading Teacher PLACE exam for students in both Colorado and Wyoming. After the PLACE exam is passed, students are required to complete a university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.
- Track 3 - Reading Specialist Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and the Reading Specialist PLACE exam. After the PLACE exam is passed, students are required to complete and university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.
Total M.Ed - Reading Specialist Endorsement Requirements: 30 credit hours
- Required courses: 27 credit hours
- Practicum requirement: 3 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.
M.A. in Education Programs
M.A. in Education: Teaching the Linguistically Diverse
M.A. in Education: Graduate Teacher Licensure
M.A. in Education: Teacher Leadership