Ideal for those who already possess a teaching license and are seeking additional credentials, our Master's in Education with the Reading Teacher added endorsement provides educators with a graduate degree that enhances the teaching of literacy, including reading, writing, speaking, viewing and language development for all populations. The curriculum covers a variety of teaching strategies and assessments that emphasize current, research-based best practices reflecting state literacy standards.
The Reading Teacher Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado and Wyoming only. The program requires a practicum that can be completed in the teacher's own classroom. It is a great option for classroom literacy leaders and those teaching in the secondary grades.
Designed by practicing professionals, the M.Ed. with the Reading Teacher added endorsement is an online program. Although a few classes may be offered on campus as they are taken by other endorsement areas, this program is designed to be a fast paced online program for current educators.
Program curriculum is blended with instructional technology so you have the technical knowledge to inspire a deeper level of learning among your students. Plus, our Teacher Education program is nationally approved through the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC).
A graduate license/endorsement is dependent on the major of your bachelor's degree. If the level and area of license/endorsement you are seeking does not correspond to your specific major, you may need to take additional undergraduate credits as required by Colorado or Wyoming laws and regulations for license/endorsement.
Licensed educators and paraprofessionals are eligible to receive a 10% preferred tuition discount for teacher education courses at CPS. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.
The M.Ed. in Reading has three distinct program options, two of which result in a Colorado Licensure Endorsement in Reading:
- Track 1 - Reading M.Ed., Non-Endorsement: Any licensed teacher is eligible for this track. Since this program is online, teachers can reside in any state. This program option does not require a practicum; instead, students complete a final capstone project.
- Track 2 - Reading Teacher Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado and Wyoming only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and the Reading Teacher PLACE exam. After the PLACE exam is passed, students are required to complete a university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.
- Track 3 - Reading Specialist Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and the Reading Specialist PLACE exam. After the PLACE exam is passed, students are required to complete and university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.
Total M.Ed - Reading Teacher Endorsement Requirements: 30 credit hours
- Required courses: 27 credit hours
- Practicum requirement: 3 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.