Master Degree Overview
The M.S. in Accounting program has a strong foundation in ethics which is in high demand by corporations and accounting licensing bodies. The accounting degree focuses on the expanded knowledge base required in today's business world and provides the necessary course work to meet the "150 credit hour" requirements to sit for the CPA exam and/or the requirements for the CMA designation. Both on-campus and online accounting courses are offered.
Regis University's College for Professional Studies (CPS) M.S. in Accounting degree is a ten-course, 30-credit-hour program with an additional seven foundation courses in business and accounting.* It has been designed to be flexible, allowing you to focus on classes that will support your career goals. Building upon the foundation you already have in accounting techniques, ethics and industry technologies, your academic advisor will work with you to customize your accounting degree plan to fit your goals and special interests.
As a CPS graduate of the Accounting program, you will have a well-rounded education that affords you access to a number of available career paths including opportunities as an accountant, auditor, cost accountant or financial analyst.
Students who do not have previous experience in finance and accounting may be required to take 10 to 15 credit hours of prerequisite courses. Transcript evaluation is required to determine unmet requirements. The following prerequisite courses may be required depending on your previous experience*:
- Business or Corporate Finance (FIN 400)
- Auditing Principles and Procedures (AC 480)
- Financial and Managerial Accounting (AC 320A and AC 320B)
- Intermediate Accounting I (AC 410A)
- Intermediate Accounting II (AC 410B)
- Marketing (MKT 325)
*The foundation courses may be waived with appropriate demonstrated academic proficiency and with approval from your M.S. in Accounting academic advisor.
A Path to the CPA Examination
Beyond your preparation within our accounting classes, eligible CPS graduates who intend to sit for their CPA are offered privileged access to Becker™ CPA Exam Review courses through a $400 partner discount.
Total Masters in Accounting Degree Requirements: 30 credit hours
- Core requirements: 6 credit hours
- Degree electives: 21 credit hours
- Capstone course: 3 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.
|Foundation Courses (10-15 credit hours)
Foundation (pre-requisite) courses may be waived depending on prior experience/education
||Business or Corporate Finance
||Auditing Principles and Procedures
|AC 320A and AC 320B
||Financial and Managerial Accounting
||Intermediate Accounting I
||Intermediate Accounting II
|Core Requirements (6 credit hours)
||Ethical and Legal Environment of Business
||Interpreting Accounting Information
|Electives (21 credit hours)
21 credit hours (7 classes) selected from the following:
||Financial Reporting Policy and Practice
||Accounting for Non-Profit and Government Organizations
||Case Studies in Management Accounting
||Tax Influence on Business Decision Making
||Seminar in Finance and Accounting
||Income Tax Research
||Accounting Information Systems
||Financial Applications XBRL and Interactive Data
|Capstone Requirement (3 credit hours)
||Business Planning and Strategy
|TOTAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: 30 credit hours
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above and you should contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for recent changes and updates.
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
How to Apply
Take the next step in your Regis experience and connect with a Regis admissions counselor for information and assistance.
Materials Needed for Application and Admission
Applicants seeking a master's in accounting degree from the College for Professional Studies must possess a baccalaureate degree in any field of study from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Application: Completed graduate application form
- Application fee: $75.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official degree-bearing transcript within 30 days of the date of application. Official transcript must reflect a baccalaureate degree awarded from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. If official transcript is not received within 30 days you will be unable to register for future courses until the transcript is received. A complete file can be reviewed by faculty with a copy of the unofficial degree-bearing transcript from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university. Official transcript must be sent directly from your previously attended school to the CPS Admission Office.
- Two years of significant full-time business experience
- Current resume
- Two online recommendations from colleagues or supervisors who know your work in a professional setting and are able to give specific information about your abilities and potential. The application system will automatically send an email with a link and instructions on how to submit recommendations directly to Regis.
- Official GMAT score (which must include the Analytical Writing section with a minimum score of 3.5) and one spreadsheet exercise or one 750 word admission essay and one spreadsheet exercise
- Faculty interview
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- The course work of returning students (whose degree plans have expired) and/or transfer students must have been completed less than 10 years prior to the current admission into the degree program in order to be applied toward degree requirements.
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed.
Students who are otherwise accepted into the M.S. in Accounting program but who earned a GPA of less than 2.5 from the institution granting their bachelor's degree will be accepted provisionally and must complete either MLS 501 Critical Thinking and Graduate Writing or EDFD 500 Essentials for Graduate Level Writing with a "B" or better prior to taking any 600 level classes. This requirement can be waived at the time of the student's interview only if the student has demonstrated professional experience that has clearly provided ample opportunity for the student to improve in her or his written communication skills.
Students who earned a GPA of 2.5 or greater from the institution granting their bachelor's degree but whose essay demonstrates less than graduate level writing, may also be accepted provisionally and be required to complete either MLS 501 Critical Thinking and Graduate Writing or EDFD 500 Essentials for Graduate Level Writing with a "B" or better prior to taking any 600 level classes.
Applications due two weeks prior to start date.
|Spring 8W2 - March 3, 2014
||Feb. 17, 2014
|Summer 8W1 - May 5, 2014
||Apr. 21, 2014
|Summer 8W2 - June 30, 2014
||Jun. 16, 2014
*Your application file including all requirements, documents and fees, must be completed by the application deadline.
Regis University Degree Tuition: M.S. in Accounting
||Estimated Total Program Cost
||Credit Hours Required
||Cost per Credit Hour
||Estimated Fees for Program
Please note: Additional fees may apply to Regis University students. Please contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for information.