- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Colorado, Boulder, CO
- MS in Computer Science, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- BS in Computer Science, Lock Haven State College, Lock Haven, PA
Academic & Professional Experience
- Regis University, Professor, Denver, CO, 2002 to present
- Program Coordinator – Computer Science
- Creekpath Systems, Principal Software Engineer, Boulder, CO, 2001 to 2002
- Athene Software, Senior Software Engineer, Boulder, CO, 1999 to 2001
- U S WEST, Boulder and Denver CO
- Information Technologies, Senior Engineer/ Technical Lead, Denver, CO, 1996 to 1999
- Advanced Technologies, Member Technical Staff, Boulder, CO 1986 to 1996
- University of Colorado at Boulder Continuing Education, Lecturer, 1989 to 1990
- AT&T Bell Laboratories, Member Technical Staff, 1984 to 1986
- Rutgers University, Teaching Assistant, 1983 to 1984
Professional Credentials & Memberships
Research & Scholarship
- Blumenthal, R. L., (1998). Supporting Unstructured Activities with a Meta-Contextual Protocol in Situation-Based Workflow. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Colorado, Boulder.
- Blumenthal, R. & Blumenthal, J.E. (2010). Using dialogue contexts to support the tutoring of ethics. Proceedings of Artificial Intelligence and Applications AIA 2010, Innsbruck, Austria, 271-278.
- Blumenthal, R. (2009). The effect of semistructured design rationale messages on Structuring collaborative problem-solving in an online forum. Journal of Information Technology Impact, 9(1), 1-24.
- Blumenthal, R. & Karamouzis, S. (2008). A behavioral model for tutoring ill-defined design tasks with multiple dialogue agents. Proceedings of the 11th IASTED International Conference: Computers and Advanced Technology in Education, Crete, Greece, 256-261.
- Sparks R., Dooley S., Meiskey L., & Blumenthal, R., (1999). The LEAP Authoring Tool: supporting complex courseware authoring through reuse, rapid prototyping, and interactive visualizations. International Journal of Artificial Intelligence Education, 10, 75-97.
- Blumenthal, R., & Nutt, G. (1995). Supporting unstructured workflow activities in the Bramble ICN system. In N. Comstock & C. Ellis (Eds.), Proceedings of conference on Organization computing systems (pp. 130-137). Milpitas, CA.
- Laufmann, S., Blumenthal, R., Thompson, L., & Bowen, B. (1991). Direct end-user access to remote information, In F. Lochovsky (Ed.), Proceedings of the conference on Organizational computing systems (16-28). Atlanta, Georgia.
- Blumenthal, R. (1990). Artificial intelligence in telecommunications. In J.J. Richardson & M.J. DeFries (Eds.), Intelligent systems in business: integrate the technology (pp. 201-217). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Blumenthal, R., Laufmann, S., & Freeman, E., (1990). OOOFFs: A metamorphosis from objects to knowledge-based agents. In Proceedings of the Bellcore Object Oriented Systems and Technology (BOOST) Conference (pp. 157-166). New Brunswick, NJ.
- Joseph, R., Ensor J. R., Dickinson, A., & Blumenthal, R. (1989). Describe - An explanation facility for an object-based expert system. In Proceedings.
- Blumenthal, R. (1988). Rule inheritance in a frame-based paradigm. In M. Trivedi (Ed.), Proceedings of Applications of Artificial Intelligence IV (pp. 607-613). Orlando, FL.
- Ensor, J.R., & Blumenthal, R. (1987). Custom: an expert system editor. In Proceedings of the 1987 Rocky Mountain Conference on Artificial Intelligence (279-288). Boulder, CO.
Reviewed Workshop Publications
- Laufmann, S. & Blumenthal, R. (1988). GROMS: a system for modeling network structures. In Proceedings IEEE '88 Globecom Workshop in the Application of Network Technology.
- Mahling, D., Woo, C., Blumenthal, R., Schlickter, H., & Horstman, T. (1995). Workflow = OIS? A report of a workshop at the CSCW '94 conference, SCM SIGIOS Bulletin, 161, 59-64.
- Dooley, S., Meiskey, L., Blumenthal, R., & Sparks, R. (1995). Developing reusable intelligent tutoring system shells. In Proceedings of the AIED-95 Workshop for Authoring Shells for Intelligent Tutoring Systems. Washington, DC.
- Cox, L.A., & R. Blumenthal, (1987). "KRIMB: An intelligent knowledge acquisition and representation program for interactive model building. In T. Addis et al.(Eds.), Proceedings of the First European Workshop on Knowledge Acquisition for Knowledge-Based Systems. Reading, England.
- Cox, L.A., Jr. & Blumenthal, R. (1987). Dynamic planning under uncertainty using automated model construction and risk analysis. In Proceedings of the 1987 Workshop on Simulation and Artificial Intelligence. Seattle, WA.
Selected Technical Reports
- Ensor, J.R., Gabbe, J., & Blumenthal, R. (1984). Taxpert a framework for exploring interactions among experts. AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Memorandum 11354-841029-04TM. Homdel, NJ.
- Blumenthal, R. & Laufmann, S. (1989). Motivation-based default reasoning. U S West Advanced Technologies, Technical Report. Boulder, CO.