Offered on-campus, the post-graduate certificate in Counseling Children and Adolescents (CCA) is developed for community professionals with a master’s degree in counseling or closely related area of clinical psychotherapy who meet the requirements for admission to the certificate program.
The Regis University Center for Family Counseling and Play Therapy is a designated Approved Center of Play Therapy Education by the Association for Play Therapy (APT). Therefore students completing the CCA certificate program meet the academic requirements for the Registered Play Therapy (RPT) national certification through the APT. The certificate is a planned program of study which includes 18-credit hours (six courses). CCA certificate courses are offered in weekends and intensive formats so that students may accommodate work schedules and complete the coursework within one calendar year.
Current graduate students in the Master of Arts in Counseling and Master of Arts in Marriage and Family Therapy programs may also be admitted to the CCA certificate program concurrently during their master’s degree coursework. The CCA certificate cannot be awarded to current students until the semester following graduation from the master’s degree program and completion of the certificate coursework.
Total Credit Requirements: 18 credit hours
View the CCA Certificate Course Sequence 2012-2013
Learn more about graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed this program and other important information regarding gainful employment for the current academic year.
Listed below are the required courses for completion of the Post-Graduate Certificate: Counseling Children and Adolescents program at Regis University. The total post-graduate certificate requires 18 semester hours.
|Counseling Children and Adolescents Certificate Requirements
||Family Origins and Life Cycles (3 semester hours)
||Play in Family Therapy (3 semester hours)
||Advanced Play Therapy: Grief, Abuse and Trauma (3 semester hours)
||Counseling Pre-Adolescents and Adolescents (3 semester hours)
||Introduction to Play Therapy (3 semester hours)
||Sandtray Therapy Techniques (3 semester hours)
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above. For further information contact the Office of Admissions at 303.458.4344.
How to Apply
Prerequisites for Counseling Post-Graduate Academic Certificate Programs
- Completion of a master’s degree in Counseling, Marriage and Family Therapy or a closely related clinical field from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Completion of a clinical internship within the master’s degree—600 hours minimum supervised clinical experience within the prior master’s degree program
Materials Needed for Application and Admission
- Application: Completed graduate application form
- Application fee: $50.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official degree-bearing transcript reflecting a master’s degree awarded from a U.S. regionally accredited institution. Documentation of completion of a clinical internship may be required by the admissions committee.
- Completed admission essay
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current résumé
- Criminal background check
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed.
All Counseling program applicants must submit application materials to the program prior to the admission deadline to be considered for admission.
Materials in support of an application for admission become the property of Regis University and will not be provided or returned to an applicant.
There are no info sessions scheduled for Post-Graduate Certificates at this time.