Know what's happening locally and globally

El Salvador TPS Status Terminated

On January 8, 2018, the US Department of Homeland Security announced that Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for El Salvadorans will not be renewed. The termination day is designated as September 9, 2019. See more information here. El Salvadorans can also seek free immigration advice.  

US Resumes Nonimmigrant Visa Issuance in Turkey

On December 28, 2017, the US announced that political conditions had improved in Turkey and began issuing nonimmigrant visas again. Turkey has also resumed with issuing visas for US citizens at Turkish embassies and consulates.
See updates here.

Presidential Proclamation on Executive Order Travel Ban

On December 4, 2017, the US Supreme Court stated that the travel ban affecting these 8 countries is now fully enforced. Continue to follow updates and reference resources with the links below.

Indefinite Entry Bar Under Executive Order

On September 24, 2017, President Trump issued a Proclamation on the Executive Order 13780 (from March 6, 2017) banning or restricting entry of certain foreign nationals to the United States. The eight countries that are included in the Proclamation are Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Yemen, and Somalia.  Although Iraq is not included in this Proclamation, Iraqi nationals who arrive in the United States may experience additional scrutiny if they pose risk to the U.S.

For additional information and to read the Presidential Proclamation:

Presidential Proclamation

NAFSA Resources for the Executive Order Travel Ban  

Advising Hours

Open advising hours for the spring 2018 semester are:

Tuesdays:  2-4 p.m.

Wednesdays:  10 a.m.- noon  

Thursdays:  9:30-11:30 a.m.

You do not need an appointment during these hours.  Please schedule an appointment if you need to see the ISSS Coordinator outside of these advising hours.

Bus Passes Available to F-1 students beginning January 16, 2018

The $25 international student fee has been charged to all F-1 international students who are registered for at least one course during the semester. This allows students to receive one local bus pass booklet per week. To obtain your bus pass booklet, you must ask for a bus voucher at the front desk in the lobby of the Student Center.  Take that voucher to the Cashier’s Office in Main Hall, 1st floor, where you will receive your free bus pass booklet. You may begin doing this on January 16, 2018. 

If you attend class at DTC and need a regional bus pass, you must email Josh Parsons at In your email, state that you are requesting a regional bus pass, how long you will need it, and what it is for.

Undergraduate Regis College and RHCHP graduate students are not charged the $25 international fee since free bus pass booklets are already included in your student fees. 

F-1 Employment Workshop

Thursday, February 1, 2018

2:30-3:30 p.m.

Clarke Hall, room 307

Learn about work authorization on your F-1 visa! Find out about on-campus employment, CPT, OPT and STEM OPT, Social Security Numbers, taxes and more.

The Center for Career & Professional Development will also be present to discuss their services and answer your questions about resumes, finding jobs, interviewing, and more.  

Tax Preparation

The dates and times of the tax sessions are as follows:

Monday, February 5, 5:30-8 p.m.

Monday, February 12, 5:30-8 p.m.

Tuesday, February 13, 2-4 p.m.

Monday, February 19, 5:30-8 p.m.

Tuesday, February 20, 10 a.m.-12 p.m.

Monday, February 26, 5:30-8 p.m.

Thursday, March 1, 2-5 p.m. – DTC campus only

Monday, March 12, 5:30-8 p.m.

Thursday, March 15, 10 a.m.- noon

Monday, March 19, 5:30-8 p.m.

All tax sessions will be held at the Northwest Denver campus in Clarke Hall, room 378, except March 1, which will be at the DTC campus

Please complete this survey to tell us the date that you plan attend. You may attend a session without choosing a date, but you risk waiting in long lines (the public will be using these tax sessions also). Choosing a date will also guarantee you that a tax assistant who understands immigration tax filing will be available to help you.

What you need to bring: W-2 form, last year’s tax return, and photo ID (driver’s license or passport).  If you have other tax forms such as a 1099, 1098-T, property tax, etc., please bring those also.