What else do I need to know?

All About Academics

Q: How do I know if a course abroad will satisfy a requirement for my intended major or minor?

A: Compare the descriptions of courses abroad with the descriptions of the Regis requirements. Once you think you’ve found potential matches for the major or minor requirement, ask the appropriate staff members (RC students: Dean’s Office; other colleges: advisors) for approval. Provide a full course description and/or syllabi for each course. Retain written approval for your records.

Q: How do I know if a course abroad will satisfy a requirement for the distributive or integrative core?

A: Compare the descriptions of courses abroad with the descriptions of the Regis requirements. Once you think you’ve found potential matches for the core, ask the appropriate staff members (RC students: Dean's Office; other colleges: advisors) for approval. Provide a full course description and/or syllabi for each course. Retain written approval for your records.

Q: Will the grades I earn abroad affect my Regis GPA?

A: No. You will earn credit for each course you successfully pass according to the host institution’s definition of a passing grade. If a course abroad doesn’t count towards your major, minor, or core requirements, the credits will count as “elective” credits.

Q: Do I have to take RCC440A and RCC440B?

A: Yes. Every student who participates in the Regis University study abroad program must enroll in RCC440A the semester prior to their semester abroad and RCC 440B the semester immediately upon their return, regardless of the college or program in which the student is enrolled, and regardless of whether or not a student has already fulfilled the RCC430 Search for Meaning core requirement. The sequence of both RCC440 semesters plus a minimum of a semester abroad through Regis will fulfill the RCC430 Search for Meaning requirement, even if a student takes both courses for zero credits.

Q: Will I earn 6 credits at Regis if the class I take a foreign university is worth 6 credits abroad?

A: Probably not. The number of credits you’ll earn at Regis will depend on how many U.S. credits each credit in your particular study abroad country abroad is worth according to the U.S. system.

Q: How many credits do I need to take during my semester abroad?

A: You’ll need to enroll in the equivalent of 12 credits at Regis.

Q: Where should I tell my program abroad to send my transcripts from abroad?

A: They should send transcripts to: Dr. Naomi Olson, A-14, 3333 Regis Boulevard, Regis University, Denver CO 80221

Q: When I apply to law school, medical school, or graduate school, will admissions boards be able to see my study abroad semester grades?

A: Yes. Graduate school applications can and do request your official transcripts from your semester abroad, which will show your grades, so don’t slack off while you’re abroad!

Q: How long will it take for my transcript from abroad to arrive at Regis?

A: It can take up to 9 months, so please plan to be patient. If you don’t see your credits in webadvisor by the end of the semester after you returned to Regis from abroad, contact the Study Abroad office.

Q: Can I take courses online through Regis during the same semester I study abroad?

A: Generally, no. However, if none of the dates of your study abroad program overlap with the dates of an online Regis course, you may request permission to enroll in that course. You will be billed an additional fee according to the course’s posted per/credit college hour rate.

Q: How many RC integrative core credits can I fulfill abroad?

A: You may fulfill up to a total of two integrative core requirements through the study abroad experience (RCC 440M, Global Education Seminar, and an additional course abroad). 

Q: Will my courses abroad automatically transfer back as the Regis course equivalents (core, major, minor, etc.) that I need them to count for?

A: Probably not. If you planned to have a course from abroad count as a core or major/minor equivalent and it did not transfer back on your Regis transcript as such, you will need to gather the written documentation you saved (the pre-approval from faculty or deans) and take that information to the appropriate Dean’s Office. Then you will need to request a sub-waiver form to ensure that you get the appropriate credits that you need and the relevant requirements fulfilled.

Study Abroad Program FAQs

Q: I’ve been approved to study abroad by Regis. What do I do now?

A: Begin by reading and responding to any and all communications from the Study Abroad Office. Students who do not respond to Study Abroad Office communications in a timely manner forfeit their eligibility to study abroad. Moreover, students are responsible for all of the content in their decision letters. Detailed instructions, including how to apply to your particular study abroad program, are included in that letter. Read it through carefully and print it off for future reference.

Q: I need to provide an “Official transcript” to my host institution. How do I obtain one?

A: Visit the Academic Records and Registration website or call Transcripts staff at 303.458.4126

Q: Who should fill out the Disciplinary Verification form required by my program?

A: Send your completed form to studentaffairs@regis.edu for a signature.

Q: How can I search for scholarships and find additional funds for my study abroad semester?

A: Your best chance at a scholarship is through your study abroad program provider. Keep an eye out for postings about scholarships on the Regis University Study Abroad Facebook page. Also seek out online advice on how to fundraise, save, and budget for a study abroad semester.

Q: Why doesn’t my Regis bill show the study abroad fee or housing charges?

A: The bill that you receive from Regis will not be itemized. You will be charged a lump sum that combines all of the charges (including the study abroad fee) together.

Q: If Regis is paying the cost of my program’s housing, why do I pay the security or housing deposit?

A: Housing, security, utilities, and utility deposits are the student’s responsibility. This ensures student accountability for responsible use abroad. In some cases, programs will use the term “deposit” to refer to the fee for utilities and other accommodations services. In such cases, it is possible that the deposit is not returned to students. Please check with your specific program provider for more information.

Travel, Visa and Insurance FAQs

Q: How do I know if my program requires a student visa?

A: Whether you will need to apply for a student visa will depend upon the duration of your program and your destination country’s immigration requirements. The process can be confusing because visa regulations vary greatly by country and requirements frequently change. You should ask your program provider or your host institution’s International Office staff about the visa requirements for your program. You are responsible for meeting all of the deadlines and requirements for obtaining your student visa (if applicable). For a general overview of the student visa application process, see here: https://www.studyabroad.com/student-guide-study-abroad-visa

Q: How do I obtain my student visa?

A: For all visa-related questions, please check with your program provider. Some countries require you to travel out of state to apply in person at a consulate. Some countries may require you to complete a Criminal Background check, which can take several weeks. Make sure you plan ahead to reserve time and funds if either of these scenarios applies to you.

Q: When should I purchase my flights?

A: It is always recommended to purchase your flights only after you have been formally accepted to your study abroad program by your host institution (not just Regis). If your program requires a student visa, it is best to have the visa in hand before you purchase your tickets. 

Q: What is the difference between travel insurance and international medical insurance, and do I need both?

A: You are required to provide proof that you have both travel insurance, which covers things such as lost baggage, cancelled flights, and some emergency or accidental medical needs, as well as international medical coverage, which covers illnesses and medical issues that do not fall in the category of an accident or an emergency. All study abroad students are responsible for obtaining adequate travel and medical insurance coverage while abroad. Some program providers offer travel insurance for the duration of the program. Students who wish to travel before, during, or after the program should purchase additional insurance to cover non-program related travel.

Q: How can I learn about appropriate safety measures to take and cultural etiquette to adopt in my destination country?

A: Students should visit this site: https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

And this site: http://www.international.gc.ca/cil-cai/country_insights-apercus_pays/countryinsights-apercuspays.aspx?lang=eng

And enroll in STEP to receive pertinent alerts about relevant activities in their destination country.

Learn the equivalent number of 911 in your destination country and how to cry for help in the local language.

Learn about fire prevention, an important concern for your semester abroad. (Hint: pack a smoke detector!)

Q: Which vaccinations or immunizations should I get before I go abroad? Visit the CDC’s travel guide to see what vaccines, immunizations, or other measures you can take to prepare for safe and healthy experience abroad.

Q: How should I budget for incidentals during my semester abroad?

A: The best advice is to ask several people who have studied abroad recently in your destination. Students have a wide range of resources available to them, so speak to several people to see what the range of reasonable budgets can be for your destination. Use the Regis University Study Abroad Facebook group and program alumni as resources. Reach out to your program provider to ask for the contact information of recent alumni who may have helpful advice for budgeting.

Still have questions after attending an info session? Email oge@regis.edu to schedule an appointment.