Continuing Teacher Education
Regis University’s Master of Education Reading Specialist added endorsement in Reading is designed to provide in-depth teacher preparation in literacy instruction for teachers in Colorado.
Education: Reading Specialist Added Endorsement
Ideal for those who already possess a teaching license and are seeking additional credentials, our Master's in Education with the Reading Specialist Endorsement provides learners with a graduate degree that enhances the teaching of literacy, including reading, writing, speaking, viewing and language development for all populations. The curriculum covers a variety of teaching strategies and assessments that emphasize current, research-based best practices reflecting state literacy standards and helps to prepare current teachers for literacy interventionist and instructional coaching roles.
The Reading Specialist Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado only. The reading endorsement program requires a practicum that can be completed in the teacher's own classroom. It is a great option for those who are interested in literacy interventionist, instructional coaching, and district literacy leadership roles.
Designed by practicing professionals, the M.Ed. Reading Specialist added endorsement is an online program.
Licensed educators and paraprofessionals are eligible to receive a 10% preferred tuition discount for teacher education courses at CPS. Contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for details.
The M.Ed. in Reading has three distinct program options, two of which result in a Colorado Licensure Endorsement in Reading:
Master's in Reading Plus Endorsement Colorado:
This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado only.
This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and a university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.
Total M.Ed - Reading Specialist Endorsement Requirements: 30 credit hours
- Required courses: 27 credit hours
- Practicum requirement: 3 credit hours
Printable Fact Sheet: To download a printable fact sheet with details about required classes, admissions requirements, and start dates, please visit our fact sheet library. Please note: The best source for the most current information is an admissions counselor.
Required Courses (27 credit hours)
||Teaching Reading and Writing
||Reading and Writing Connections
||Reading Strategies for Secondary Students
||Literacy for the Diverse Learner
||Reading Assessment and Intervention
||Evidence-Based Reading Techniques
||Literacy for Students with Special Needs
||Organization and Management of School Literacy Programs
Practicum (3 credit hours)
||Practicum: Reading Specialist
|TOTAL DEGREE REQUIREMENTS: 30 credit hours
Please note that recent course requirement updates may not be reflected in the list above and you should contact an admissions counselor at 800.944.7667 for recent changes and updates.
To download a printable fact sheet with program details, click here.
How to Apply
Take the next step in your Regis experience and connect with a Regis admissions counselor for information and assistance.
MATERIALS NEEDED FOR APPLICATION AND ADMISSION
Applicants seeking a master's degree from the College for Professional Studies must possess a baccalaureate degree from a U.S. regionally accredited college or university.
- Complete the online graduate application
- Application fee: $50.00 non-refundable application fee (waived for Regis University graduates)
- Submit official degree-bearing transcript a U.S. regionally accredited institution. Download the transcript request form.
- Minimum overall GPA of 2.75 on degree-bearing transcript with option of supplying additional course work transcripts
- Critical analysis essay (instructions to upload your completed essay are included in the online application system)
- Current resume
- Copy of current teaching license
- Additional admission requirements apply to international students who are non-U.S. citizens
- Please remember: Applications that are incomplete and/or missing information will NOT be processed
Applications and supporting application materials should be submitted 30 days prior to your intended start date to provide ample processing time. Access the appropriate academic calendar
to view start dates.
- Reading M.Ed., Non-Endorsement: Any licensed teacher is eligible for this track. Since this program is online, teachers can reside in any state. This program option does not require a practicum; instead, students complete a final capstone project.
- Reading Teacher Endorsement: This Colorado Teacher Licensure Endorsement is available for licensed teachers in Colorado and Wyoming only. This program option requires completion of all Reading M.Ed. course work and a university-supervised practicum; which in most cases, can be completed in the teacher's own classroom.