College of the Sacred Heart to Regis College
Seven years after it was founded in New Mexico as Las Vegas College, Bishop Machebeuf invited our school to move to Morrison, Colorado, near Red Rocks. Renamed as the College of the Sacred Heart, it operated there for three years until a Jesuit-educated man, John Brisben Walker, gifted our establishment land in 1887. The Northwest Denver Campus still operates there today, with a clear westerly view of the Rocky Mountains and Flatirons.
We renamed ourselves Regis College 35 years later, honoring St. John Francis Regis, the patron saint of lace-workers. St. Regis was known for his service to at-risk women and youth, providing them stable incomes and independence. Originally a boy’s preparatory school, Regis continued to grow and became Colorado’s pioneer in adult education in the 1940s and later in online education in the 1990s.
Loretto Heights College to Regis University
In the summer of 1988, Loretto Heights College closed its doors 70 years after its founding in Denver by the Sisters of Loretto. Three of its academic programs moved to Regis College and provided the foundation for the Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions and the College for Professional Studies, ultimately allowing us to become Regis University in 1991.
Read more about the Loretto Heights College here.
Our current and 24th president, the Rev. John P. Fitzgibbons, S.J., is only the third Regis president in the last 40 years, demonstrating an extraordinary tradition of service, leadership and stability.
Father Fitzgibbons and our Board of Trustees provide guidance for a university now comprising five colleges and offering more than 130 academic programs online and at three campuses in the Denver metro area.