April 8 event offers free and low-cost health assessments, lab tests
March 27, 2017
By Michaela Dexter
The Regis University Northwest Denver Campus will transform from classrooms to centers for laboratory draws, health assessments and wellness screenings when the Regis 9Health Fair returns 7 a.m. – noon on Saturday, April 8.
A community health resource for Regis area communities, such as Berkley and Chaffee Park, since 2003, Regis’ fair is run by nurses, physical therapists, pharmacists and therapists from Regis’ Rueckert-Hartman College for Health Professions. Services include standard blood pressure screenings and heart, skin, foot and vision screenings, stress management, bone density testing, and non-fasting blood draws.
“The Regis 9Health Fair is an incredible opportunity to get yourself checked and participate in specialized and low-cost healthcare,” said Hattie Orzolek, a Regis senior nursing student who’s running registration for this year’s fair. “It’s a great day for students and professionals alike to give back to the community around Regis, and some of the tests and screenings we do have the potential to be life-saving. It’s a great opportunity to promote wellness.”
Whether you have a specific screening in mind or would like to visit every station, the Regis 9Health Fair is set up to serve you and your family quickly, and enable you to take charge of your health. The screenings, all of which are free except for the non-fasting blood draws, include:
- Men and Women’s Health Screenings, which include a prostate and testicular screening or a breast and PAP exam
- Heart Health, which includes a blood pressure screening, cardiac risk assessment and a body mass index (BMI) assessment
- Foot Screenings, which include screening for rheumatoid arthritis and diabetes risk
- Bone Density, which includes both a balance and bone health assessment
- Skin Screening, which includes skin care education
- Vision Screenings for eye health and education
- Stress Management, which includes a metabolic syndrome screening, nutrition and wellness education and a sleep apnea assessment
- Non-fasting Blood Draws ($35), including for cholesterol, blood glucose, liver and kidney function and thyroid function
- And more!
Please mark your calendar for April 8 and join us in Peter Claver Hall at the Regis University Northwest Denver Campus. You may pre-register at https://www.9healthfair.org, or register at the Fair. All of the Regis parking lots will be open for free parking. Regis 9Health Fair signs will direct visitors to Claver Hall, and volunteers will help transport those who need assistance from their parking spots to the hall. The University even can provide bus passes for those who need transportation to campus.
We look forward to meeting you, and being a valuable health and wellness resource for you.
If you would like more information about the Regis 9Health Fair, please contact me at email@example.com.
Michaela Dexter, who lives in the Berkeley neighborhood, is a Regis University nursing student. She is passionate about community health and wellness, and will graduate in May with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. Michaela has been an active member of the Regis 9Health Fair organizing committee as its chairperson for the University Outreach and Promotion team and as co-chair for marketing.