How are rooms and roommates assigned?

Roommates are assigned based on availability and their compatibility. We use a housing questionnaire that invites students to share information that is essential to finding a good roommate match. The questionnaire provides students with a percentage match among other residents looking for a roommate. Students are able to message and request/confirm roomates. If a student knows who they want to be roommates with, they can search for that student by name.

New students receive their room assignments and roommate information via their Regis email accounts in July. When an accepted student pays the housing deposit, the new student will receive a housing packet with directions on how to apply for housing online. Requests for roommates and halls are honored when possible, but may depend on availability.

How can I get a single room?

Singles are only available based upon availability or if needed for a medical accommodation. Students can request a single by visiting and selecting "Housing Forms."

How do you deal with roommate problems?

The sharing of living space with another person is part of the educational experience of residential living. Both roommates are expected to invest in the relationship. Communication, compromising, and mutual respect are the keys to a successful residential living experience. The Residence Life Coordinators, Assistant Residence Life Coordinators, and Resident Assistants are available to mediate roommate conflicts. 

There needs to be (2) two mediations before a room change can occur. All room changes must be approved by the Residence Life Coordinator. 

Students who have roommate problems should discuss their concerns with their roommates as early as possible. If they need assistance in addressing their concerns with their roommate, they should make an appointment with their Resident Assistant to address the issue through the conflict resolution process. These meetings are held in a safe and neutral location where all parties involved are seated and allowed to address their concerns with the assistance of a facilitator and a note taker. Staff members help facilitate the mediations in a way that gives all parties equal opportunities to voice their concerns, but staff members do not solve the problem(s). Rather, the facilitator encourages the students to use critical thinking skills to assess and resolve conflicts and concerns so that all parties reach an equally beneficial outcome. The note taker is present to assist the facilitator with recording an account of all agreements and concerns brought up by all parties involved in an unbiased manner.

Safety and Security

Do student rooms have individual locks?

Yes. Each room has an individual swipe card system. This system allows for the Office of Residence Life to track when and who is in and out of the room. Furthermore, the system locks the door every time the door is shut. Each building has its own swipe card system and this allows only the residents of that building to gain access 24 hours day into the residence hall. Students are issued a Regis University Student ID which allows access to the front door of the residence hall and their room.

What if personal items are damaged or stolen?

Students are responsible for the care and safety of personal property. The college is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage to personal property. Insurance coverage by each student against loss or damage of personal property is recommended. Students should record all serial and model numbers of valuable equipment. When students leave their room, they should shut the door and make sure that it is locked.

What about residence fire safety?

For the protection of students living in the residence halls, periodic fire drills are conducted. In addition, each semester, formal Health, and Safety Inspections are conducted by members of the Residential Life Staff and the Department of Physical Plant. In conjunction, residence hall fire safety equipment is periodically inspected by Physical Plant. As part of the prevention to ensure proper fire safety, students are asked not to hang items from their ceilings and not to bring any fire hazards (candles, incense, halogen lamps, or appliances with exposed coils such as toasters) to campus.  Violations of these requests or other parts of the residence hall policies will be addressed in accordance with the Regis University Student Handbook.

Are residence halls safe?

At all times, residential facilities are locked 24 hours day. Furthermore, there is always a Professional Staff member (Residence Life Coordinator) who is on-duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and Resident Assistants (1 from each building) who are on duty from 6p.m. till 8a.m. the next morning every day. Desk Assistants also monitor the front reception desk of the residence halls. Students are issued one swipe card for access to both their room and the front door of the residence hall. While the halls have low reports of stolen items, there are certain practices that will help to sustain the secure living environment.  For example, when leaving their rooms, students should be sure to close their room doors and never to prop open the exit/entry doors of the residence halls. Any lost/stolen swipe cards should immediately be reported to a Residence Life Coordinator or to a Resident Assistant so the room door lock can be reprogrammed/changed and a new key issued to the student; otherwise, the student’s room and hall’s security are compromised. Security within a residence hall is the responsibility of the University and each resident. For additional information, please refer to the Regis University Campus Safety.

How safe is the campus at night?

Campus Safety personnel regularly patrol campus grounds 24 hours a day, including visits to all building entrances. Emergency stations are located throughout campus are connected directly to Campus Safety personnel’s phones/radios. Campus Safety officers also provide on campus escort service for students to buildings on campus as requested.  To request such service, please call 303.458.4122 or x4122 from any on-campus phone.

If while living in the residence halls my personal property becomes stolen and/or damaged, will Regis replace it?

No. According to the 2012-2013 Regis University Housing Contract "The UNIVERSITY assumes no liability for the loss of money, clothing, or other personal property or for loss or damage to student property housed in UNIVERSITY facilities. The room rates are based upon the absence of such liability. STUDENTS are encouraged to carry private insurance on their personal property." 

We encourage residents to speak with their parents to determine if their personal property is covered within their homeowner's insurance policy if such loss were to occur while living in our residence halls. If not, students are encourages to carry other private renters insurance for their property. The following are links to renter's insurance companies. Regis University and the Office of Residence Life and Housing do not endorse any of the following companies or their products. 

National Student Services, Inc.
Renters Insurance for Colorado

Residence Life

Will there be first-year student residence halls?

Yes. Both DeSmet Hall and O'Connell Hall are dedicated to first-year students only. They are co-ed by floor and divided by male and female wings.

What are the housing options for upperclass students?

Upperclass (sophomore, junior, senior) students have the option of choosing from suite-style living in West Hall and townhouse-style living in the Residence Village. Upperclass students also have the option of going through another application process for the off-campus themed houses at Ignatian Village.

What happens if a space becomes available in my room, suite or townhouse?

When a vacancy occurs in a room, suite or townhouse the remaining student(s) have the opportunity to identify a student to fill that vacancy within a time limit specified by Residence Life unless there is a waitlist for that space. Should the student(s) not be successful in identifying a student, the Residence Life staff will fill the vacancy through consolidation or, when available, offer the student a buy-out for a single room. The Residence Life staff may also consolidate vacancies and relocate students to other rooms in that specific residence hall at any point throughout the year.

How are residence halls supervised?

Residence Life Coordinators, who are live-in professional staff, and Assistant Residence Life Coordinators, who are junior or senior students, are responsible for promoting a residential environment that provides educational and extracurricular opportunities for students. The Resident Assistants are carefully selected upperclass students who have been trained in a variety of areas, living in each residence hall. Residence Life Coordinators have major responsibilities in the administration and operation of residence halls and in the supervision of the Resident Assistants.

How can I be contacted in my room?

Regis College residence hall telecommunications system provides each residence hall room with lines for telephones, cable television, wireless internet, and high-speed internet. Each residence hall room has 2 telephone numbers (one for each resident). Students may make on campus and local calls from their rooms, as well as receive incoming calls from both on and off campus.

Are student rooms cleaned by the college?

Housekeeping personnel clean residence hall lounges, bathrooms, hallways, and all public areas. Students are responsible for cleaning their own rooms and units as well as taking their trash to the trash containers behind each of the halls. Vacuums are available on each wing of the residence hall through the Resident Assistants.

Are student rooms furnished?

All student rooms are furnished with two extra-long twin beds (bunkable), two chests of drawers, two desks, two chairs, and two bookshelves. In addition, each room has appropriate closet space for each occupant of the room. Room furnishings must remain in their designated room at all times. Please note that lofting kits for beds are not permitted.

What types of electrical appliances are permitted?

Televisions, stereos, computers, small personal items (e.g., blow dryers, curling irons, etc.) are permitted. Halogen lamps of any kind are prohibited. If you are supplying an extension cord or a multiple outlet, please use only UL approved cords which have their own internal fuse and act as a surge suppressor. Only one refrigerator and one microwave per room.

Is smoking permitted in the residence halls?

For health and safety reasons, all University-owned residential facilities are regarded as clean air communities. There is to be no burning of any substance (candles, incense, tobacco, etc.) in any residential facility.

Are candles permitted in residence halls?

For safety reasons, candles are not allowed in residence halls. Fabric or posters also may not be hung from ceilings for the purpose of fire safety.

Are members of the opposite sex allowed to visit in rooms?

Due to the Jesuit Catholic tradition, we prohibit guests of the opposite sex to stay overnight in the same room. Residents with guests of the same sex staying the night must have the individual visiting sign a guest visitation contract and have their roommate(s) approve of the guest as well. For additional information, please refer to the Regis University Student Handbook.

What activities are held in the residence halls?

Programming is initiated by the Resident Assistants, Assistant Residence Life Coordinators, Residence Life Coordinators and residents. This includes social, cultural, and educational programs such as outside speakers, films, study breaks, etc.

Is my student required to live on campus each year?

First-year students and sophomore (see definition below) students that are outside of a 30-mile radius must live on campus. If they are inside the 30 mile radius they must be living with a parent or legal guardian. Juniors and Seniors are not required to live on-campus but are highly encouraged because of the known educational and social benefits associated with students who remain on-campus. 

For the purpose of Housing Sign-Up, the Office of Residence Life and Housing classifies “students” as the following:

  • First-year Students: those students who have completed less than two full semesters living on a college campus.
  • Sophomores: those students who have completed between two and three full semesters living on a college campus.
  • Juniors: those students who have completed between four and five full semesters living on a college campus.
  • Seniors: those students who have completed six or more full semesters living on a college campus.

Note: A semester is defined as Fall or Spring (not summer) term.

How do I secure on-campus housing each year?

Each year, students receive housing information outlining the overall housing selection process before leaving for Winter Break in December.

Residence Facilities

Are there laundry facilities?

Each residence hall resident is permitted free use of the provided washers and dryers. With the use of the free LaundryView system, students can view and monitor the status of their laundry and check when washers and dryers are available.

What happens if personal items are damaged due to a major or minor damage (flood, fire, etc.) in the facility?

We recommend that each student obtain renter’s insurance through their own insurance company.

Are there storage areas in the residence halls?

There are no storage areas in the residence halls. Students may only store items in their rooms and must remove all of their personal items at the end of each academic year. Students may rent storage space from a local storage vendor at their own expense and risk.

Can I remove or have furniture removed from a room?

No. The University does not have sufficient facilities to store any furniture from rooms. All furniture assigned and placed in a room must remain in that room at all times. The removal of any provided furniture from a room is a violation of the Student Handbook and the housing contract.

What happens if my roommate moves out mid-year?

If your roommate moves out mid-year for any reason, the Residence Life Coordinator of your building will contact you and inform you about the consolidation process. You will have the following options:

  • Bring in another student that does NOT have a roommate to live with you.
  • Move to another room that has an available space with another roommate.
  • If you have exhausted all of the previous options only then you will be allowed to stay in your current room and continue paying the double rate. You must be prepared to have a student placed with you. Whether or not a student is placed in the space, you will need to stay on your side of the room ONLY. This means keeping your space roommate ready at all times. If your space is not roommate ready you may be charged for a single room retroactive to the date that the former roommate moved out. If occupancy allows and if you gain approval from your Residence Life Coordinator, you may also buy out your room as a single for the single rate.

What happens if common area damage occurs?

Students will be subject to both restitution and immediate disciplinary action whenever damage occurs. If the individual responsible cannot be identified, restitution will be determined in the following manner:

  • Residents are responsible for any activities or damages that occur in the room to which they are assigned.
  • Residents of the wing are responsible for damage that occurs within that wing’s common areas (lounges, hallways, bathrooms, etc.).
  • Residents of the floor are responsible for damage that occurs within that floor’s common areas (lounges, hallways, etc.).
  • Residents of the entire hall are responsible for any damage that occurs on a hallwide basis (i.e., lobbies, stairwells, computer labs, and building exterior).

In previous years, many damages have been attributed to active games being played indoors (hacky sac, hockey, lacrosse, Frisbee, etc.). Such actions not only result in damage, but also violate courtesy/quiet hour regulations. ~Regis University Student Handbook

If the person who caused the damage comes forth and files a written statement with the Residence Life Coordinator of the building admitting to  the damage, then the cost to repair the damage will be applied to that student’s account. If any student has information about common area damages that have occurred, they can also file a written statement with the Residence Life Coordinator or Campus Safety to aid in the investigation of the damage.

What size are the beds in the residence halls?

Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36”x80”).

Parent Guardian Information

Do parents/guardians have access into student residence halls and/or their rooms?

Only students have access into their residence hall and rooms. All guests, including parents and guardians, are required to be signed in by the student at the front desk of the on-campus residence hall (with exception of Residence Village, and Ignatian Village). Each guest must have a valid government-issued photo identification card (Driver's License, military card, or state-issued identification card). Student identification cards from schools other than Regis University are not acceptable.

Do I have access to my students room number, telephone number, or e-mail address?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA, also known as the Buckley Amendment), as amended, is a federal regulation whose purpose is to require educational institutions to conform to fair information practices. When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights afforded to parents under FERPA transfer to the student. However, schools may inform parents if the student who is under age 21 has violated any law or its policy concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance. The Office of Residence Life and Housing respect the privacy of the students who reside in campus housing.  Therefore, we encourage that parents seek information regarding their student's room number, phone number, email addresses, etc. from their student.

What kind of emotional support will my student have in the residence hall?

There are many people who students can turn to for emotional support and help, including:

  • Residence Life Coordinators: live-in professional staff members
  • Resident Assistants: Student staff members who promote communities conducive to a positive student living experience
  • Assistant Residence Life Coordinators: Act as liaisons between the professional staff members and the Resident Assistants by providing guidance
  • Peer Ministers: Student staff members who help students with spiritual enrichment and provide overall support