Are there certain academic requirements that must be met in order to be eligible to live in the residence halls?

Yes. You must be enrolled in 12 credit hours per semester at Regis University for undergraduates. First-year students are eligible to live in DeSmet Hall or O'Connell Hall. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are eligible to live in West Hall, Residence Village, or Ignatian Village.

How can I get exempt from the Residency Requirement?

Please click Regis University Residency Requirement for more information.

What if I don't get selected to live in a Living-Learning Community?

To uphold the integrity of the LLC program at Regis University, a limited number of residents may be approved to live in a particular LLC.   However, if space is not available after the the LLC selection process you will still have time to find a roommate and be eligible for the housing sign-up process.

Can I sign-up to live in a Living-Learning Community after the housing sign-up process?

Yes if space is available in the LLC. However, the LLC selection process runs simultaneously alongside the housing sign-up process.

I missed my sign-up time slot, what do I do?

You may access the portal during your assigned time slot or during subsequent time slots. The process closes at a predetermined time, so you will need to select and confirm your assignment by the closing time of the specific step. If you fail to confirm by the closing time, your assignment may be voided and the vacancy filled.

I don't meet the qualifications to live off-campus, will anyone notice or care if I just move to off-campus housing?

Living on campus is viewed as an integral part of your education, hence the Regis University Residency Requirement. Students not meeting this requirement will be required to move to on-campus housing and will find their housing options very limited. Students may obtain and submit and Exemption Request Form from the Office of Residence Life and Housing. Please be aware that exemptions are granted only for specific reasons and not granted in many cases. If you haven't received an exemption, you should sign-up for housing. If you don't your housing options will be very limited.

Can I live on campus for only one semester?

No. The housing contract is for the full academic year. After signing the housing contract you are obligated to live on campus and pay for the full academic year. However there are five ways that, when the housing cancellation process is followed, Residence Life and Housing will release a student from their housing contract:
  • for documented medical accommodations that Regis University cannot accommodate
  • documented financial duress
  • participation in a Regis University semester long study abroad program
  • graduation
  • transferring to another institution of higher education
Please note that in order to apply for housing cancellation you must complete and submit the Housing Cancellation Form within the required timelines located on the Refund Charts.

What if I do not want to submit an online payment?

Then you must go to the Cashier's Office 303.458.4129 located in Main Hall 1st floor and make the payment. Once you do so you need to go to the Office of Residence Life, Housing and Event Services with the original receipt from the Cashier's Office indicating your payment. At this time we can go into the system and allow you to continue to sign-up for housing.

What if I can't locate my preferred roommate when I search in the online application?

Your preferred roommate must submit an online application for the same term as you, otherwise a match will not be found. Please check with your preferred roommate to ensure that they have submitted an application and requested the same term.

Can I request a single room?

Single rooms are available upon request; however they are limited in availability.

What happens if my roommate withdraws from Housing?

When a vacancy occurs in a room, the remaining student(s) have the opportunity to identify a student to fill that vacancy within a time specified by Residence Life. Should the student(s) not be successful in identifying a student, the Residence Life staff will fill the vacancy through consolidation or, when available, offer the student a buy-out for a single room. The Residence Life staff may also consolidate vacancies and relocate students to other rooms in that specific residence hall.

Sophomore, Juniors & Seniors

How do I find a roommate/roommates?

Each student who has completed the housing application will be able to go into the housing portal and select their roommate(s) by the posted Housing sign-up dates. When you select the required number of roommates you will be asked to select a Housing Sign-Up Group Leader. This person will receive a lottery number and time slot to sign-up for the groups room/town-home.

What happens if I don't sign-up for housing by the March deadline?

All rising Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors who fail to sign-up for housing by the deadline will have a limited chance of securing housing and will need to contact the Office of Residence Life and Housing.

What happens if I request a single, I do not receive one, and I no longer wish to live on campus?

If you are not selected to receive a single room and you wish to live off campus for the academic year, you will be eligible to cancel your housing application and receive a refund of 100% of your deposit if you meet the posted deadline.

In order to receive and be granted a refund, you must cancel your housing contract and notify the Office of Residence Life and Housing by 5p.m. by the posted deadline. If you fail to notify the Office of Residence Life and Housing by this date and time, you will be held to your Housing Contract.

If I want to live in Residence Village, how many roommates do I need?

With the increase in students who will be living on campus in the Fall of 2011, it is strongly encouraged that if you would like to live in Residence Village please find 5 other roommates to live with (including you, a total of 6). Residence Village is townhouse style and houses 6 residents in 3 double rooms. Those students who have a total of 6 residents to a townhouse will get priority selection over those who don't have a total of 6 residents.

I will be a rising Junior or Senior next year and I want to sign-up for my current room but don't want to live with my current roommate next year. Who has priority for our current room?

If  both are qualified, the roommate with the earliest time slot would be given first access to sign up for the room on Room Selection Day. If both have the same time slot, then the room is available on a first-come, first-served basis. The roommate who is not successful during the same room process will remain eligible to find another room. We strongly suggest that you discuss your plans with your current roommate to avoid conflicts on Room Selection Day. However, someone with an earlier time slot can select your room; you are NOT given priority.

Will all sophomores be able to secure on campus housing for next year?

All students who are covered by the Regis University Residency Requirement will be required to live on campus for the academic year and thus are guaranteed housing for that year. Even though you are guaranteed housing you still need to go through the Housing Sign-Up process and complete your application within the deadlines. If you don't, we can not guarantee housing and you will be placed on the waitlist.

Do I need to submit another deposit?

Yes. If you are a current on-campus resident, your housing deposit from the previous year does not carry forward to the following year.

If I want to live in West Hall how many roommates do I need?

In order to live in West Hall you will need to find one other roommate (including you, a total of 2). West Hall is suite style with two double rooms that share a bathroom. It is recommended that you select a suite with those who you know because you will be sharing a bathroom. However, this is not a requirement for housing sign-up and it is also not guaranteed that you will be sharing a suite with people you know.

Safety and Security

Do student rooms have individual locks?

Yes. Each room has an individual swipe card system. This system allows for the Office of Residence Life to track when and who is in and out of the room. Furthermore, the system locks the door every time the door is shut. Each building has its own swipe card system and this allows only the residents of that building to gain access 24 hours day into the residence hall. Students are issued a Regis University Student ID which allows access to the front door of the residence hall and their room.

What if personal items are damaged or stolen?

Students are responsible for the care and safety of personal property. The college is not responsible for loss, theft, or damage to personal property. Insurance coverage by each student against loss or damage of personal property is recommended. Students should record all serial and model numbers of valuable equipment. When students leave their room, they should shut the door and make sure that it is locked.

What about residence fire safety?

For the protection of students living in the residence halls, periodic fire drills are conducted. In addition, each semester, formal Health, and Safety Inspections are conducted by members of the Residential Life Staff and the Department of Physical Plant. In conjunction, residence hall fire safety equipment is periodically inspected by Physical Plant. As part of the prevention to ensure proper fire safety, students are asked not to hang items from their ceilings and not to bring any fire hazards (candles, incense, halogen lamps, or appliances with exposed coils such as toasters) to campus.  Violations of these requests or other parts of the residence hall policies will be addressed in accordance with the Regis University Student Handbook.

Are residence halls safe?

At all times, residential facilities are locked 24 hours day. Furthermore, there is always a Professional Staff member (Residence Life Coordinator) who is on-duty 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year and Resident Assistants (1 from each building) who are on duty from 6p.m. till 8a.m. the next morning every day. Desk Assistants also monitor the front reception desk of the residence halls. Students are issued one swipe card for access to both their room and the front door of the residence hall. While the halls have low reports of stolen items, there are certain practices that will help to sustain the secure living environment.  For example, when leaving their rooms, students should be sure to close their room doors and never to prop open the exit/entry doors of the residence halls. Any lost/stolen swipe cards should immediately be reported to a Residence Life Coordinator or to a Resident Assistant so the room door lock can be reprogrammed/changed and a new key issued to the student; otherwise, the student’s room and hall’s security are compromised. Security within a residence hall is the responsibility of the University and each resident. For additional information, please refer to the Regis University Campus Safety.

How safe is the campus at night?

Campus Safety personnel regularly patrol campus grounds 24 hours a day, including visits to all building entrances. Emergency stations are located throughout campus are connected directly to Campus Safety personnel’s phones/radios. Campus Safety officers also provide on campus escort service for students to buildings on campus as requested.  To request such service, please call 303.458.4122 or x4122 from any on-campus phone.

If while living in the residence halls my personal property becomes stolen and/or damaged, will Regis replace it?

No. According to the 2012-2013 Regis University Housing Contract "The UNIVERSITY assumes no liability for the loss of money, clothing, or other personal property or for loss or damage to student property housed in UNIVERSITY facilities. The room rates are based upon the absence of such liability. STUDENTS are encouraged to carry private insurance on their personal property." 

We encourage residents to speak with their parents to determine if their personal property is covered within their homeowner's insurance policy if such loss were to occur while living in our residence halls. If not, students are encourages to carry other private renters insurance for their property. The following are links to renter's insurance companies. Regis University and the Office of Residence Life and Housing do not endorse any of the following companies or their products. 

National Student Services, Inc.
Renters Insurance for Colorado

Residence Facilities

Are there laundry facilities?

Each residence hall resident is permitted free use of the provided washers and dryers. With the use of the free LaundryView system, students can view and monitor the status of their laundry and check when washers and dryers are available.

What happens if personal items are damaged due to a major or minor damage (flood, fire, etc.) in the facility?

We recommend that each student obtain renter’s insurance through their own insurance company.

Are there storage areas in the residence halls?

There are no storage areas in the residence halls. Students may only store items in their rooms and must remove all of their personal items at the end of each academic year. Students may rent storage space from a local storage vendor at their own expense and risk.

Can I remove or have furniture removed from a room?

No. The University does not have sufficient facilities to store any furniture from rooms. All furniture assigned and placed in a room must remain in that room at all times. The removal of any provided furniture from a room is a violation of the Student Handbook and the housing contract.

What happens if my roommate moves out mid-year?

If your roommate moves out mid-year for any reason, the Residence Life Coordinator of your building will contact you and inform you about the consolidation process. You will have the following options:

  • Bring in another student that does NOT have a roommate to live with you.
  • Move to another room that has an available space with another roommate.
  • If you have exhausted all of the previous options only then you will be allowed to stay in your current room and continue paying the double rate. You must be prepared to have a student placed with you. Whether or not a student is placed in the space, you will need to stay on your side of the room ONLY. This means keeping your space roommate ready at all times. If your space is not roommate ready you may be charged for a single room retroactive to the date that the former roommate moved out. If occupancy allows and if you gain approval from your Residence Life Coordinator, you may also buy out your room as a single for the single rate.

What happens if common area damage occurs?

Students will be subject to both restitution and immediate disciplinary action whenever damage occurs. If the individual responsible cannot be identified, restitution will be determined in the following manner:

  • Residents are responsible for any activities or damages that occur in the room to which they are assigned.
  • Residents of the wing are responsible for damage that occurs within that wing’s common areas (lounges, hallways, bathrooms, etc.).
  • Residents of the floor are responsible for damage that occurs within that floor’s common areas (lounges, hallways, etc.).
  • Residents of the entire hall are responsible for any damage that occurs on a hallwide basis (i.e., lobbies, stairwells, computer labs, and building exterior).

In previous years, many damages have been attributed to active games being played indoors (hacky sac, hockey, lacrosse, Frisbee, etc.). Such actions not only result in damage, but also violate courtesy/quiet hour regulations. ~Regis University Student Handbook

If the person who caused the damage comes forth and files a written statement with the Residence Life Coordinator of the building admitting to  the damage, then the cost to repair the damage will be applied to that student’s account. If any student has information about common area damages that have occurred, they can also file a written statement with the Residence Life Coordinator or Campus Safety to aid in the investigation of the damage.

What size are the beds in the residence halls?

Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36”x80”).

Parent Guardian Information

Do parents/guardians have access into student residence halls and/or their rooms?

Only students have access into their residence hall and rooms. All guests, including parents and guardians, are required to be signed in by the student at the front desk of the on-campus residence hall (with exception of Residence Village, and Ignatian Village). Each guest must have a valid government-issued photo identification card (Driver's License, military card, or state-issued identification card). Student identification cards from schools other than Regis University are not acceptable.

Do I have access to my students room number, telephone number, or e-mail address?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA, also known as the Buckley Amendment), as amended, is a federal regulation whose purpose is to require educational institutions to conform to fair information practices. When a student turns 18 years old or enters a postsecondary institution at any age, all rights afforded to parents under FERPA transfer to the student. However, schools may inform parents if the student who is under age 21 has violated any law or its policy concerning the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance. The Office of Residence Life and Housing respect the privacy of the students who reside in campus housing.  Therefore, we encourage that parents seek information regarding their student's room number, phone number, email addresses, etc. from their student.

What kind of emotional support will my student have in the residence hall?

There are many people who students can turn to for emotional support and help, including:

  • Residence Life Coordinators: live-in professional staff members
  • Resident Assistants: Student staff members who promote communities conducive to a positive student living experience
  • Assistant Residence Life Coordinators: Act as liaisons between the professional staff members and the Resident Assistants by providing guidance
  • Peer Ministers: Student staff members who help students with spiritual enrichment and provide overall support