You’d never settle for a consistently awful haircut. Or medium rare when you ordered medium well. And you’d surely switch coffee shops if your favorite java spot started charging for Wi-Fi.
So why settle for an abysmal job? Particularly when studies show that staying in a job that makes you unhappy can impact things like your health, diet and relationships. This needn’t be such a chin scratcher.
At Regis University, our Jesuit values inspire students to strive for more in life. To question the way you live and become agents of change in your own life and in the lives of others around you. And to challenge yourself to always seek excellence.
If you’re in a job you’re unhappy with, stop being okay with it. Instead, follow these five steps to put a soul-crushing job behind you:
- Don’t fall victim to inertia. You can’t change what you won’t start. Make a commitment to improve yourself and devote time every day to work toward it. Dust off your résumé; reconnect with old coworkers on LinkedIn; sign up for the GMATs. Just keep moving forward.
- Take stock of your current situation. Can you improve your role? Or move to another role that’d be better for you? Make a list of ways you can make your job better – for both you and the company – and share it with your boss.
- Seek inspiration. If you can’t find relief within your company, spend time reflecting on what will make you happier. It could be the space to be creative, leading a team, or working independently. Consider your skills and what you may need to learn or refine in a classroom.
- Walk a mile in someone else’s shoes. If you love teaching, talk to a professor. If you don’t know where to find one, fill out the form on the right side of this page and we’ll connect you with someone who shares your passions. Ask about their background, how they got to where they are, what they love and hate about work. What can you learn from their experiences? Can you picture yourself in their role?
- Get the guts to go for it. At some point, you’ll have to apply. Whether it’s for a promotion internally, a job across the country, or go to grad school, have the courage to take action to improve your life.
Inquire today to see how Regis University can help you transform your life and take on a career that you’re passionate about. Fill out the form on the right and we’ll be in touch.