Research & Scholarship
- Rebel Masculinities, Essay published in the Museum Catalog for Unruly Bodies: Dismantling Larry Clark’s Tulsa, California Museum of Photography, 2016
- Biases in Aestheticizing the Human Form: A Call for Racial and Gender Awareness in Representational Artwork. Academic Paper Presented at the TRAC Conference, Ventura March 4th 2014.
- Undergraduate Research Assistant for Sociology professor Michael Messner for the 2010 journal article on Gender in Televised Media (Summer-Fall 2009)
- Gender in Televised Sports News and Highlights Shows 1989-2009. CO-Investigators: Michael Messner, Ph.D & Cheryl Cooky Ph.D., Research Assistant: Robin Hextrum. June 2010
Robin Hextrum worked with a team of fellow graduate student curators at UC Riverside to design, develop and curate an exhibition titled Unruly Bodies: Dismantling Larry Clark’s Tulsa at the California Museum of Photography. She played an instrumental role in the background research, conceptual development and exhibition design for the show. She also wrote an essay for the museum catalog connected to this show titled “Rebel Masculinities.” This essay compared the depiction of masculinity in Danny Lyon’s photo series Bikeriders to Larry Clark’s representation of working class white male youth in his photo series Tulsa.
Lectures and Presentations
REGIS UNIVERSITY: “Art & the Environment,” Robin Hextrum gave a guest lecture about environmental themes in her creative work for Professor Alyse Knorr’s course Nature, Literature, and the Ecological Self at Regis University, September 21st 2017.
STUDIO C GALLERY: “Flora & Fauna,” Lecture about creative work in a solo exhibition, Studio C Gallery, January 2016.
LCAD: “Developing and Proposing Curriculum.” Guest Lecture at LCAD’s MFA program about the process of designing and developing a new course. September 24th, 2014.
CHAPMAN UNIVERSITY: "Shunga: Erotic Art in Edo Japan." Guest Lecture at Chapman University for an Asian Art History Course taught by Ed Fosmire. April 20th, 2014.
LCAD: "Fractal Geometry and Art." Guest Lecture at LCAD for a Critical Reasoning course under Grant Hier. March 2014.
THE REPRESENTATIONAL ART CONFERENCE: "Biases in Aestheticizing the Human Form: A Call for Racial and Gender Awareness in Representational Artwork." Academic Paper Presentation at the TRAC Conference, Ventura March 4th 2014.
UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA "Sex and Sports": November 2008, November 2009 and November 2010. For three years running Robin Hextrum gave a guest lecture to Michael Messner's Sociology Class at USC about how she conveyed gender issues in sports through her artwork.
Publications and Press
- “21 under 31.” Southwest Art Magazine September 2015
- River’s Voice: Journal of Art & Literature, Rio Hondo College. Vol 16, May 2015
- "Robin Hextrum." Post-Modern Times 1.3 (2014): 28-33.
- “Oneira: I Dream of Self’ at Studio C Gallery in Los Angeles” by John Seed. Huffington Post. June 18th 2014
- Marin IJ, “Art of the athlete: Stinson's Hextrum excels as a painter and rower at USC,” July 7th, 2009.
- "All Things Trojan," by Adam Rose, Los Angeles Times/ Blogs, image of "In Contemplation of a Race."
- USC Report, "Artletics Exhibition at Galen Center," page 12, February 12, 2008.