Regis University's competition brings community together for thousands in prizes
April 09, 2018
Seven months in the works, Regis University’s first Innovation Challenge concludes at 7 p.m., Friday, April 20, at the University’s Northwest Denver Campus, 3333 Regis Blvd.
Nine teams – of undergraduate and graduate students, Regis alumni and community members – will compete for start-up funds and work space in the University’s Innovative Center. Prizes of $10,000, $5,000 and $1,000 will be awarded to the top competitors.
The event is free and open to the public, and the audience will help decide the winners.
“The goal of the Innovation Challenge is to get students running their business and anchoring them within their communities,” said Ken Sagendorf, professor and director of Regis’ Innovation Center.
The competition launched in October with more than 50 students attending an informational session. A semifinals competition was held in December to determine the top teams. These startup businesses represent the cybersecurity, video production and neuromarketing industries, among others.
The Innovation Challenge will pit the top nine teams against one another in a Shark Tank-style competition where business ideas are pitched to a panel of judges. Ideas will be judged on desirability, feasibility, viability and presentation.
The Challenge finalists include:
- Colorado Craft Bottling: A versatile co-packager designed for the special needs of the expanding craft beverage market
- WALLREST: A performance poncho that keeps fans and athletes warm and dry, alone or together
- Repurpose Bowties: A social good fashion company that creates bowties at a fair wage from repurposed materials
- Wired Arms: A shared marketplace designed to help businesses of the outdoor sporting industry reach new audiences
- Lightworkers Republic: A creative agency that builds, amplifies and refreshes brands through the mediums of graphics, photography and video
- Marquet: A neuro-marketing, integrated marketing and market research company
- Physiocases: An online case-based learning and virtual mentorship service that can be accessed from the comfort of your couch
- Pillow Talks: A safe, confidential, innovative and authentic alternative to professional support that cannot be found anywhere else
- Blackcomb Networks: Provides 365-degree, cloud-based cybersecurity to protect small businesses from threats and attacks
The event will be held in the Mountain View Room of St. Peter Claver, S.J., Hall on Regis’ Northwest Denver Campus (use Entrance 4).
Established in 1877, Regis University is a premier, globally engaged institution of higher learning in the Jesuit tradition that prepares leaders to live productive lives of faith, meaning and service. Regis University, one of 28 Jesuit universities in the nation, has four campus locations in the Denver metro area and Colorado Springs and extensive online program offerings with more than 11,000 enrolled students. For more information, visit www.regis.edu.